Candles are scattered throughout my house. I usually light them a couple times a week, enjoying their soft glow and fragrance. Not once have I thought about the danger of the actual flame. But, the fact remains that a candle is an open flame and on average a candle fire in the home is reported to a U.S. Fire Department every 40 minutes, according to the National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA).
I think that far too often, candle safety is overlooked. It’s an important part of fire safety and may be prevented with some important tips from the NFPA.
- Keep candles 12 inches away from anything that could possibly touch or fall into the candle.
- Don’t forget to blow out all candles when you leave a room.
- Use candle holders that are sturdy.
- Place holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface.
- Light candles carefully. Keep your hair and any loose clothing away from the flame.
- Don’t burn a candle all the way down. (Put it out before it gets too close to the bottom).
- Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home.
- Have flashlights and battery-powered lighting ready to use during a power outage, try to not use candles.
More than half of all candle fires start when things that can burn are too close to the candle. This proves that candle safety is an important subject to focus on to keep your home and family safe.
And, if you are looking for home insurance to offer the coverages important to you, locate an agent appointed with Foremost Insurance to learn more.