November 26, 2018
Bring the Holiday Magic to Your Home
Is it your turn to host the holiday gathering? Maybe you just look forward to the joy of the season, with all of the sparkling decorations and twinkling lights. Regardless, with a little imagination, you can make your home festive and welcoming. Here are some creative, affordable ways you can make your home look magical without breaking the bank!
- Candles. This is a classic, small touch that can will stand out the most. Adding some candlesticks to your dining table with some evergreen clippings will look stunning and elegant. Another idea is creating a snowy candlelight look with tea light candles – and you only need a few items! Grab a mason jar and put Epsom salt at the bottom, and throw some craft glitter in there as well. Then, place the candles on top. You can make a dozen of these and place them around your home! As an added bonus – get some candles with a holiday scent you like.
- Candy canes. Nothing reminds people of the holidays more than candy canes! Placing these around your home will make your guests feel warm and welcome. An option is to put them in mason jars on your coffee table or a mantel, or you can put them on your holiday tree!
- DIY Paper hurricanes. Sprucing up your candle holders with these will add some charm to your home. All you need is tissue paper, a glass cylinder that holds the candle and tape. By wrapping the tissue paper around the glass and making the paper thicker at the bottom as you go up, it will appear that there are multiple tints being used, but really you only used one color. Secure it with tape, and when you light your candle it will give off that beautiful holiday glow!
- Ornament centerpieces. This decoration is simple and affordable. Get a glass candle holder, and a bunch of different colored ornaments (they can be extra ones you didn't use on your tree). Place the ornaments in the candle holder, and then you're done! Another way to incorporate ornaments in your home is to lay evergreen on your tables or mantel, and place the ornaments on top. It will give off that "cozy" feeling in your home that everyone will love.
- Decorative throw pillows. If you have a sewing machine and some fabric, you're already ahead of the game! If you don't want to go out and buy a pillow, look around your home and find a pillow you want to transform. If you don't have holiday fabric on hand, you can usually get it at a low price at your local fabric store. Get the correct measurements, cut the fabric and get to sewing! If you don't want the fabric to be permanently on there, sew some buttons at the end so when January comes along, you can take it off and store it for next year!
- Wreath decorations. Adding a wreath to your door is one idea to bring the holiday cheer to your home. You buy a wreath and decorate it with your favorite ornaments, or you can go DIY! Believe it or not, it's extremely easy to make your own wreath, and – you don't have to use evergreen. You can use wood, ribbons, pine cones, a hula hoop, or a repurposed round mirror. Really, your options are endless!
- Flowers from your garden. Flowers are always beautiful around the holidays, and when it's from your garden – it's free! Place them around your home where you see fit, and try to use red and white flowers to match your other holiday decor.
We hope these ideas help create a beautiful, cheerful environment in your home. Good luck and happy holidays!
Jenean is a communications specialist at Foremost, and a veteran of the news industry. She has a Multi-Media Journalism degree and a passion for writing. Through her news career she's learned to respect Mother Nature and has been through many weather-related adventures, including driving in heavy snow and extreme season changes. In her free time she enjoys bike riding, traveling, and trying out new restaurants. Be sure to check out her blog posts for the latest safety tips on anything and everything you might need to know on your own adventure!
Read other articles by Jenean
Meet the rest of the team!